Wednesday, June 15, 2016

BEING SICK WHILE IN LAS PINAS CITY




I live south of Manila, in the quaint city of Las Pinas. I guess, you may consider the subdivision, as lower middle to middle class as most residents belong to the working group.


ISSUES ON BEING SICK

I can say, that, I never have had major health issues for more than a decade or so. Oh, yes --- I take regular medications for high blood pressure, blood sugar, and for cholesterol control. Other than that, nada!

I have never changed my medication all through this time, since, there was really no need for it. However, when I turned a leaf a couple of months ago and became a senior citizen, I suddently felt a compelling need to have a medical check-up. 

I scheduled to see a doctor right after my harvest, and find a reason to stay in Manila for a week or two. 

DOCTOR'S APPOINMENT

The Alabang Medical Clinic is a small facility near my residence. It is a five minute tricycle ride from my place and a walking distance from where I get off. I was there two weeks in a row to get a doctor's appointment for the lone doctor who specializes in diabetes and high blood pressure. 

But woe! She fails to show up each time. The staff says that she is stuck in the high-end Asian Hospital in Muntinlupa and unable to see her patients in the clinic. I counted the patients waiting for her, and they numbered fifteen who waited anxiously, each time.

With a consultation fee of P500 per patient, that would amount to around P7,500 for one day. Probably, what she gets from the Asian Hospital is more than the fee that she gets from us at the said clinic.

I inquired from the staff if they have another doctor whom I can see,in lieu of her. They informed me that she is the only doctor who specializes in both diabetes and high blood pressure.

Haay, naku naman!





BARANGAY HEALTH CENTER


Out of frustration, I went to the nearby barangay health center and inquired from the barangay doctor, if I can have a change of prescription for my blood pressure. I felt that I needed a higher dosage since I am no longer comfortable with what I am taking.

I also inquired if I can have my blood sugar tested so I can get another prescription. When he asked me why there is a need for it;  I said that, I get 32% off my medication if he gives me a prescription since I am already a senior citizen.

He is a kindred spirit, but was not easily swayed. He asked me to first undergo diagnostic testing --- ECG scan, blood sugar testing, and a sputum test since he noticed my cough while talking to him (turns out to be a case of bronchitis and was given medication for it). I was directed to a nearby diagnostic center and to immediately see him as soon as I have the results.

I was also told to get the sputum test at the barangay so I don't have to pay anything. My medication can also be given free if the health center have enough stock. I thanked him and said that his prescription for my medication will be more than sufficient.
 


DIAGNOSTIC CLINIC 

Oft I went to this diagnostic center, a small place near the Barangay Hall of Almanza 1. Looking at it, I was at first hesitant to have myself tested and back out immediately. However, since it was there where the barangay doctor told me to go, I went through the motions of having myself undergo  an ECG scan. It was finished in less than five minutes.

Tomorrow, I will undergo an FBS test for blood sugar. I hope to get the results by Monday or Tuesday.


POSTSCRIPT

I am happy that each community has a barangay health center that can help residents whenever they get sick. You don't have to pay anything since the service is free. Medicines are also given free, if available. It was my first time to experience being attended to by the community health doctor, and it was OK. 

If more health services are offered by each barangay, what we will see is a better place for all Filipinos --- rich or poor alike.

Attention incoming president, Digong Duterte.


writer_csm

#Almanza
#health


Photo credit:  http://www.panoramio.com/
https://www.google.com.ph/

Las Pinas Digest
Copyright CSMiravite 2016

















1 comment:

  1. I am happy that each community has a barangay health center that can help residents whenever they get sick.Sakit.info

    ReplyDelete

Online Selling in Marketplace

      Mechanics on the Art of Selling Selling takes a lot of work in terms of taking pictures, arranging the photos in adobe or the usual sh...